Wednesday, March 28, 2012

All or Nothing

Everything is all or nothing.  We are in or we are out.  My college transcript is all As/Bs (save for one or two Cs) or all Fs.  Simply put, if I could not get a "perfect" semester, then anxiety attacks snatched me from the world.  A failed exam meant no returning from a C or D, and since a D receives no college credit, why bother?  A bad transcript means a bad job--or that's all I understood at the time.  (I now know that most jobs are bad.)  There is no incentive to continue at this point.  Worse than that: there is no consumer protection for students, no refund, no protection in place (one of many problems with U.S. higher education).  So now the student is stuck with a wasted semester with no refund and a future of mediocrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment